This trimester, the science teacher and I are working together to produce a STEAM unit in the music and science classes at the third grade level. To begin, STEAM is an acronym for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics. STEAM is born from STEM. STEM was introduced when our country was turning to innovation as a way to ensure a prosperous future (quoted from http://stemtosteam.org/). The A was added to recognize the positive impact that arts and design have on innovation. In addition, this unit is enhancing the current music curriculum as we are utilizing many musical concepts and standards to complete this unit.
The first portion of our unit is about pitch and volume. In today’s lesson, the students were given their recorders and their recorder music. They have just earned a recorder star for their recorder straps by learning Don Muro’s “Land’s End” from Introducing BAG. I asked the students, “How would you perform this song if I gave you these beakers, a jug of water, and markers?” The students immediately answered that the water poured into the beakers would produce sounds and notes. We experimented together to learn that some of the beakers that looked the same actually produced different sounds, in which we were now referencing them as pitches. Some of the beakers were thicker in density and we assumed this made the beakers different pitches. We noted that many of the empty beakers were pitched at G and C (above the G). As we moved through the lesson, the students learned that when they added water to the beaker, it lowered the pitch. The students then used their recorders to define the pitches B, A, and G so that they could determine if they could get their three beakers to sound those three pitches. In addition, since these students were loving this project, I pointed out the descant that is heard in the recording and assigned one of the groups to figure out the pitches for the descant using the beakers. The descant was made up of the notes A, B, and D. The problem that arose was that the beaker could not produce the high D pitch, so the students used the water to produce a low D pitch. They all experienced great success. At the end of the class, they performed the song with the accompaniment. They were amazed to be able to perform this song using water, beakers, and markers (the markers acted like triangle beaters), and utilizing the knowledge they learned from science (volume and pitch) and music (pitch, high and low, reading rhythms and performing on instruments). This STEAM unit will continue and eventually culminate with a final project where they will compose a simple melody using noteflight (http://www.noteflight.com), GarageBand, and instruments made from recycled materials.
When I integrate across the curriculum, I make sure to address a few items. These items are:
- Keep the teaching of age-appropriate music concepts in tact.
- Make sure that I am giving ample class time to concert preparation so the students are feeling confident when they perform.
- Make sure that I am addressing the concepts of the integrated subject, ie: using the same terminology and having knowledge of their curriculum and timeline.
Please check back for further developments.