Richard A. McCready
2013 TI:ME Mike Kovins Teacher of the Year
Current Professional Work
2008- Director of Music Technology, River Hill High School, Clarksville, MD
- Responsible for Music Technology and Advanced Guitar classes.
- Member of Howard County Music Leadership Team.
- Designated Howard County Technology Leader.
2008- Music Technology Resource Teacher, Howard County Public Schools, Ellicott City, MD
- Responsible for developing and supporting Music Technology lessons in all Howard County Public Schools.
- Frequent clinician and speaker at in-service days and clinics, both within Howard County and at Maryland Music Educators State Conferences.
2008- Teacher, Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks, Columbia, MD
- Responsible for coordinating Saturday and Summer music classes for Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks.
- Responsible for teaching Summer camps in Music Technology, piano, and guitar.
2010- Music Curriculum Chair, Reginald F. Lewis Museum of African-American History, Baltimore, MD
- Responsible for coordinating fourteen writers, creating a State-wide curriculum of music lessons illustrating the history of music within the African-American experience and culture of Maryland.
2002- Curriculum Writer, Howard County Public Schools, Ellicott City, MD
- Responsible for developing and aligning music curriculum for High School Music Technology, Middle School Music Technology, and Middle School General Music classes.
2001- Organist and Musical Director, Abiding Savior Lutheran Church, Columbia, MD
- Responsible for accompanying and leading all services on piano and organ.
- Chair of Worship Team, and member of Ministry Team.
Former Professional Positions
2002-2008 Music Teacher, Mayfield Woods Middle School, Elkridge, MD
- Responsible for general music classes and choirs for grades 6-8.
- Member of Technology Team, and designated School Technology Leader.
2000-2002 Part-time Faculty (Upper School Music Department), The Park School, Baltimore, MD
- Taught Recording Techniques to grade 9-12 including MIDI applications, Digital Editing techniques, Analog recording theories and practice, Computerized Music Engraving, Electronic Composition, Home and Professional Studio software use.
1996-2002 Adjunct Faculty (Music History), Towson University, Towson, MD
- Designed and taught GenEd course in History of Rock and Roll.
- Taught course in Music of the Western Heritage.
1996-1998 Tuba Player, Monumental Brass Quintet (MBQ), N. College Park Station, MD
- Toured schools in Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Carroll, Anne Arundel and Baltimore Counties, and the District of Columbia, as part of Young Audiences of Maryland.
- Taught low brass and brass ensembles at Levine School of Music, Washington.
1990-1992 Associate Head of Music, Frodsham High School, Frodsham, England.
- Taught general music classes, including guitar, piano, and composition to grades 6-8, and O-Level and A-level music classes to grades 9-12.
1996-1999 Towson University, Master of Music (Vocal Performance) Degree.
1994-1996 Towson State University, Master of Music (Tuba Performance) Degree.
1989-1990 Manchester Polytechnic (England), Postgraduate Certificate of Education. (Teaching Certification in Secondary Music)
1985-1989 Royal Northern College of Music (Manchester, England), GMusRNCM (Hons).
1978-1985 Sullivan Upper School (Holywood, N. Ireland),
- Advanced level (A-Level) subjects: English Language, Mathematics, Computer Science, Music, Music Appreciation.
Awards and Honors
2013 TI:ME Mike Kovins Teacher of the Year.
2010 Howard County Music Teacher of the Year, finalist.
2009 First Flight Award, River Hill High School.
1997 Kennedy Center / American College Theatre Festival, National Composition Award, awarded for Electronic Score for “The Diary of a Scoundrel” by Vladimir Ostrovsky.
1992 Kennedy Center / American College Theatre Festival, National Composition Award, awarded for Electronic Score for “The Tutor” by Jakob Lenz.
1986 Lombard and Ulster Music Foundation, Ireland, Brass Class Winner.
- Performed live on “The Late Late Show” on Radio Telefís Eireann (RTE).
1986 Musician of the Future Competition, Ireland, Brass Class Winner.
- Performed Edward Gregson’s “Tuba Concerto” with the RTE Symphony Orchestra in Dublin’s National Concert Hall, broadcast live on RTE.
1986 BBC Young Musician Of The Year Competition, England, Brass Class Finalist.
- Performed on BBC 2’s “Young Musician of the Year” program.
Making Music with GarageBand and Mixcraft, interactive lessons and tutorials for encouraging creativity using entry-level DAW technology, Cengage Learning, Boston, MA, 2011
Plans for Success, interactive lessons in music experience and composition using Sibelius Groovy Series products, Sibelius 5, and Sibelius Student Edition, currently awaiting publication by Sibelius USA
Fortune, by William Byrd, for Brass Quintet, Musikverlag Bruno Uetz, Germany, 2002
Masters of the English Renaissance (Weelkes, Gibbons, Morley, Byrd), for Brass Quintet, Musikverlag Bruno Uetz, Germany, 2004