NAXOS Music Library – Over 1 Million Classical Tracks!
While at the TMEA/TI:ME 2013 Conferences in San Antonio this past week, I got to meet up with my friends Randall Foster and Nick D’Angiolillo at the NAXOS Music Booth. Randall has been championing this incredible music service for over five years as well as managing the domestic licensing needs of North America for NAXOS. (UPDATE: Randall was recently promoted to the Director of Licensing & Business Development for Naxos –Read the Press Release here)
If you are unaware of what the Naxos Music Library is, I encourage you to spend a few minutes and look into this invaluable resource made available to us via the Internet. In brief, the Naxos Music Library is the most comprehensive collection of classical music available online and also features Jazz, World, and Folk Music.
From a curricular and educational standpoint, Naxos offers hundreds of curriculum suggestions based on NAfME’s National Standards. Below is a short list of what the NAXOS Music Library offers for educational purposes:
- Over 40,000 composer and artist biographies
- Music notes, cover artwork, tracklist, instrumentation and publisher information
- Libretti and synopses of more than 700 operas
- Classical, Jazz, World, Classic Rock, Nostalgia music
- Complete recording catalogs of many record labels (not just Naxos)
- Search by composer and works
- Teacher can create playlists for students to follow
- Students can create their own playlists
- No setup required, and no software to download – music streams off any computer’s internet connection
- Supports access from mobile devices
- Access the sound library from anywhere, at any time
- Always updated with the latest additions to the extensive library
The NAXOS Music Library is available at anytime, from any computer, and from anywhere in the world. Additionally, the NAXOS Music Library is available for mobile media devices such as the Android and iPhone:
The NAXOS Music Library is available as a subscription service and with multiple pricing options that include individual subscriptions and Institutional Licenses (including library, school-wide, licensing options):
NAXOS has also just partnered with MusicFirst and is offering special discounted subscriptions for teachers through their website:
If you have any questions about the NAXOS Music Library, you can contact their representatives directly via their contact page:
I know you will enjoy the Naxos Music Library as much as we do at Grove City College, it’s a truly amazing resource!
Joseph M. Pisano, Ph.D. is the creator of many education websites, a lecturer, clinician, trumpeter, and conductor. He is currently the Associate Chair of Music and Director of Bands in the Calderwood School of Arts at Grove City College in PA. He been named a TI:ME Teacher of the Year, received the JEN Jazz Educator Award and the PA Citation of Excellence. He is a past Vice President of the Technology Institute for Music Educators and the current Vice-President of the PA Intercollegiate Bandmasters Association. He also writes for DCI Magazine, Teaching Music Magazine, and is the Educational Editor for In-Tune Monthly Magazine; he has contributed hundreds of articles to various publications. Find out more at his website jpisano.com.