NAfME is Seeking Music Advocacy at the Congressional Level and Seeks Your Support
This election year is an opportunity to let your community and the new Congress know how vital music education is for students and for our society. Between now and January 31st, we want to collect stories about music education from across the country.
EVERY music program is important and EVERY music teacher, parent, administrator, and student makes a difference. When we share our stories, we share the importance of our work.
Here’s what you can do to help:
1. Write a story about something your program or a program you know has accomplished. (Perhaps your story involves putting on a concert, adding a new class, or doing volunteer work… the possibilities are endless.) Your story can be as long or short as YOU want.
3. Post your story to NAfME’s website by clicking here. In your story, please tell us where you are writing from so we can add your story to our map. Your story will appear on Groundswell’s homepage after moderator approval.
4. Share your story with at least one other person. Consider sharing your story by…
- Posting it on Facebook, a blog, or another website
- Writing a letter to a school principal or superintendent
- Writing an editorial (online or in print) to your local newspaper
- Writing, calling, or emailing representatives in your state government
- Writing, calling, or emailing your representatives in the United States Senate
- Writing, calling, or emailing your representatives the United States House of Representatives
- Writing, calling, or emailing President Obama
How to write to elected officials:
NAfME will be working with state and national music education leaders to share your stories with even more elected officials after the election!
How many stories can we collect? Help make our Campaign a success—it’s up to you!
Posted with Permission and support from NAfME.
This is a great cause and I encourage any and all of you to help support NAfME and Music Education through this excellent initiative!
Joseph M. Pisano, Ph.D. is the creator of many education websites, a lecturer, clinician, trumpeter, and conductor. He is currently the Associate Chair of Music and Director of Bands in the Calderwood School of Arts at Grove City College in PA. He been named a TI:ME Teacher of the Year, received the JEN Jazz Educator Award and the PA Citation of Excellence. He is a past Vice President of the Technology Institute for Music Educators and the current Vice-President of the PA Intercollegiate Bandmasters Association. He also writes for DCI Magazine, Teaching Music Magazine, and is the Educational Editor for In-Tune Monthly Magazine; he has contributed hundreds of articles to various publications. Find out more at his website jpisano.com.