Monday Morning Music Mix ~ October 17, 2011
*Picture by Mihaela (@mihaela_v) ~ Thanks!
Monday’s Music Quote: “Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.” ~ Ella Fitzgerald
MusTech.Net provides you with the most interesting news to follow and wake-up with on Monday Mornings. So, sit back, grab your favorite coffee or morning beverage and “TAKE FIVE”…
Hot Topics This Week:
- The next Music Education Blog Carnival to be held at MusicEdMajor.net on MusTech.net! Submit your posts!
- NAfME & Glee connect go help struggling music programs to the tune of $50,000 each!
- Find great Music Education News all of the time at MusicEdNews.com
- Music Education Weekly Twitter Chat – Monday @ 8PM EST on Twitter
- 100 Music Majors Tweeting – Tell all of your under-grad friends about it!
- A.P.S. MusicMaster Pro receiving major update (get it now while it’s still at this price during this un-announced price break @ $9.99!!!)
Reading the Monday Morning Music Mix is a great way to start your work week and only takes about five minutes! So… sit back, grab your favorite coffee or morning beverage and “TAKE FIVE” with the Monday Morning Music Mix from MusTech.Net …
Standby, The Morning Music News Follows Directly:
Striving For Excellence Or Grasping at Straws? The Small Competitive Marching Band Program – “As a marching band director, I spent the first eight years of my career trying to transform small, unsupported band programs into something worth doing. Simply performing at Friday football games did not give my students a pattern of skill development I wanted them to experience, nor an event where their efforts were respected. Unfortunately, there were little other options except competition. Being young and idealistic, I figured we could go into Group I (35 members or less) competition, build for a few years, and grow the band program to around 50 members. I was wrong. There were obstacles I didn’t anticipate..”
Teeth – 5 Things Every (Music) Teacher Should Know – “TEETH T=Take Charge Your students are looking for guidance, they want direction; don’t allow them to dictate the course of action, that’s your job! Do not fall into the trap of teaching the way YOU were taught. As well as you did with whatever method your teacher used, it is probably boring and outdated by now… ”
Make it EASY, then Practice HARD – “What should practice accomplish between lessons? Progress. What is progress? Improvement, betterment, advancement. To simplify, progress is when what was perceived as HARD becomes EASY…”
Groovin’ On Granola? Check out This P.R. Release – “NEW YORK, Oct. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — Groovin’ On Granola and the Music Empowers Foundation announced today a co-venture to raise funds in support of music education for kids…”
Idol dreams Sound Discord with Music Education – “So, there it was again on TV: another young pop-idol wannabe, about to appear as a contestant on one of the newest talent shows. And she could barely contain her excitement at the possibility that she could achieve her wildest dream by becoming America’s next musical sensation. And the really good news, she said? “You don’t even have to be able to read music!…”
PLEASE CONSIDER THE INCREDIBLE OFFERINGS FROM OUR MUSTECH.NET SPONSORS:
- SmartMusic – Interactive music software for band, orchestra, and voice.
- SoundTree – The Music Technology one-stop-shop. They know teachers, they know technology.
- Alfred Music – Makers of the world’s first customizable method series.
- UShip – Moving a Piano? Save time and money -use an expert.
- A.P.S. MusicMaster Pro – The incredible ANY-Musician Tool for the iPad (and iPhone soon!)
DON’T FORGET the Music Education Chat on Twitter:
- #musedchat will be held today/tomorrow night (Monday at 8PM EDT/EST) on Twitter- Join us!
- Find out more about it here: MusicEdMajor.Net.
- Learn how to get the most from this experience here: Navigating #MusEdChat.
- Want the quick 411 on #musedchat? Click Here!
Hey, we’re LOOKING for pictures of coffee (or tea) to use with the Monday Morning Mix… Send them to me via the contact form above or Tweet Me at @pisanojm – You will get full credit and a link (seriously now, what is that worth to you!?)
Don’t Forget to Submit your article for the Music Education Blog Carnival!:
Submit Now for consideration of one of your Blog posts for inclusion into the next Music Education Blog Carnival.
Join us either as a READER or SUBMITTER!
***Photo Credit unless otherwise listed: Wikimedia Commons
Do you have an article or idea for the Next Monday Morning Music Mix?
Contact us via the contact page. As always, feel free to leave any comments you might have in the comment section below.
*Hat-tips are given at times to show who or where I learned about an article listed in the Monday Morning Music Mix… Have a great week!
GET UPDATED NEWS, TIPS, AND INFORMATION ABOUT MUSIC EDUCATION AND TECHNOLOGY DAILY BY VISITNG MUSTECH.NET’S NETVIBES PAGE AND SEE WHAT SOME OF THE BEST MUSIC EDUCATION BLOGGERS AND PODCASTS ARE TALKING ABOUT EACH AND EVERY DAY: HTTP:/MUSICEDNEWS.COM and HTTP://MUSTECH.NET !
Joseph M. Pisano, Ph.D. is the creator of many education websites, a lecturer, clinician, trumpeter, and conductor. He is currently the Associate Chair of Music and Director of Bands in the Calderwood School of Arts at Grove City College in PA. He been named a TI:ME Teacher of the Year, received the JEN Jazz Educator Award and the PA Citation of Excellence. He is a past Vice President of the Technology Institute for Music Educators and the current Vice-President of the PA Intercollegiate Bandmasters Association. He also writes for DCI Magazine, Teaching Music Magazine, and is the Educational Editor for In-Tune Monthly Magazine; he has contributed hundreds of articles to various publications. Find out more at his website jpisano.com.