PA Intercollegiate Band At West Chester University This Sunday
I’m excited to be a part of the PA intercollegiate band festival this year as I have been for the past decade. This year the festival is being held at the newly finished Swope Auditorium at West Chester University.
This is the 61st Annual Pennsylvania Intercollegiate Band festival and is the longest running state band festival of its kind. This year Dr. Peter Loel Boonshaft from Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York is the conductor of the festival band. The concert is being hosted by Dr. John Villella and Dr. Andrew Yozviak of West Chester University.
The concert is open to the public and will be held within Swope Hall, at West Chester Unviersity, on Sunday March 9th at 2:30 p.m. The concert program is as follows:
- The Star Spangled Banner -John Smith/James Swearingen
- Salute to P.M.E.A. – A.D. Davenport
- Celebration Fanfare -Steven Reinecke
- Symphonies of Gaia -Jayce Orgen
- Vigils Keep- Julie Giroux
- British Eighth March -Zo Elliott
- Lux Aurumque -Eric Whitacre
- Machu Picchu -Satoshi Yaisawa
If you are in the area, make it a point to see this concert. The PA Intercollegiate band features the best musicians from PA Colleges and Universities. This year the following colleges and universities are represented within the festival band (professor/director of the school follows the listing).
- Allegheny College -Lowell Hepler
- Bloomsburg University -Terry Oxley
- California University -Max Gonano
- Carnegie Mellon University -Paul Gerlach
- Clarion University -Hubert Toney
- East Stroudsburgh University -Otis French
- Elizabethtowh College -Robert Spence
- Franklyn and Marshall College -Brian Norcross
- Grove City College -Edwin Arnold, Joseph Pisano
- Juniata College -James Latten
- Kutztown University -Jeremy Justeson
- Lafayette College -Jamie Moyer
- Lebanon Valley College -Chris Heftner
- Lock Haven University -Jack Schmidt
- Mansfield University -Adam Vrennan, Nathan Rinnert
- Marywood University -William Weber
- Millersville Unviersity -Daniel Heslink
- Shippensburgh Unviersity -Trever Famulare
- Scranton University -Cheryl Boga
- Waynesburgh College -Ronda Depriest
- Westminster College -R. Tad Greig
- Wilkes University -Philip Simon
The PA Intercollegiate Band’s Guest Conductor and Host list is literally a who’s who of concert band composers, conductors, and band specialists and includes Erik Leidzen, Martin Gould, William Revelli, Frederick Fennell, Richard Franko Goldman, Donald Hunsberger, Leonard Sith, Stanley Michalski, and a long list of other seminal bandmasters among the ranks of hosts and conductors of the festival.
Joseph M. Pisano, Ph.D. is the creator of many education websites, a lecturer, clinician, trumpeter, and conductor. He is currently the Associate Chair of Music and Director of Bands in the Calderwood School of Arts at Grove City College in PA. He been named a TI:ME Teacher of the Year, received the JEN Jazz Educator Award and the PA Citation of Excellence. He is a past Vice President of the Technology Institute for Music Educators and the current Vice-President of the PA Intercollegiate Bandmasters Association. He also writes for DCI Magazine, Teaching Music Magazine, and is the Educational Editor for In-Tune Monthly Magazine; he has contributed hundreds of articles to various publications. Find out more at his website jpisano.com.